Sunday, July 21, 2013

Links of interest: July 21

Introductions aside, let's get down to business. I created this blog on this very day because my phone is overloaded with Google Chrome tabs of links I looked at and thought were awesome. The links are a serial distraction; when I want to open a tab from Google Search, my eye is inevitably drawn to another page I have open that I said I'd "come back to" later. I've already read the page, mind, and probably went through all of the interesting content, but it was just too cool to close. My boyfriend is a serial Chrome tabber (I've never counted his tabs, but they crowd his screen and he makes a point of saving them, even through shut downs). I can't live that way. I want to alleviate the pressure of remembering awesome websites but putting them up here, and I'm hoping to do it about once a week. Now they can crowd your tabs!

This week's links:
  1. Bully Pulpit Games. I found this while perusing the "r/fantasywriting" sub-Reddit many weeks ago, and the site is just too cool. These guys are clever and interesting, and I fully plan on buying one of their games. Most of their offerings seem to be card games, but the supplemental materials are available on the site, so you can get a sense of their style. "Carolina Death Crawl" and "Grey Ranks" look like fun games, full of humor, excitement, and murder, the makings of a fun evening.
    1. http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/
  2. Stefon Mears' Blog. Okay, perhaps this is self referential to suggest another blog, but it's totally worth it! My favorite post? The one where he discusses A Song of Ice and Fire as the "what comes after" from the fairy tale happy ending. Absolutely fascinating, particularly when it comes from a series that strives to have no heroes.
    1. http://www.stefonmears.com/2013/05/all-stories-must-die-all-stories-must-serve/
  3. LitReactor. I just discovered this site last week, when I tripped onto an article by Rob D. Young about how D&D can improve storytelling. Ooh, reading it was magical. The inspiration Young gave was the Internet high five I was talking about in my last post. Excuse me while I go enjoy my fantasy gaming.
    1. http://litreactor.com/columns/7-things-dungeons-dragons-taught-me-about-storytelling

No comments:

Post a Comment