Sunday, July 21, 2013

New beginnings

I think anyone reading this has heard of Lord of the Rings and its staunch fandom, more recently since Peter Jackson's rendition of the story into movies. The title "Frodo Lives" refers to the "first wave" popularity of LotR in the 60s, when it was chic for college students to tout a button emblazoned with the phrase. The buttons and bumper stickers are now available only obscurely on eBay and Amazon, and Frodo's fictional life hasn't been in true danger since a time long, long ago involving a guy named Sauron. But now the fans of Tolkien aren't letting Frodo die from obscurity, and this blog exists to celebrate that fandom with you. Any fandom, actually. If you're into Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Who, comics (Marvel vs. DC), the Wheel of Time, tabletop rpgs, video games, board gaming, A Song of Ice and Fire, and many, many other fandoms, I'm here to give you a high five. I want to celebrate how awesome and fun our fandoms are, and to give you an Internet back slap for being casual, hardcore, or somewhere in between.

This blog was created out of contempt, I'll admit, because I happen to know several people who couldn't tell a hobbit from a Valkyrie. I'll leave them to Twilight and The Notebook, without further comment. I'm writing this because I want to share cool ideas, events, links, and geeky enthusiasm. Frodo Lives with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment